(www.MaritimeCyprus.com) This report from "Human Rights at Sea" aims to explicitly raise awareness, implementation and accountability of human rights provisions throughout the maritime environment, especially where they are currently absent, ignored, or being abused.
CEO, David Hammond, commented: âEach year we report that it has been busier than the previous year, that the scope and scale of our work has increased and most importantly, that the âhuman rights at seaâ narrative is growing internationally. This has never been truer in this current reporting period. 2021 and beyond are going to be exciting periods in our organisationâs development and already, we are planning the next reportâs findings reflecting new investment, innovative work areas and new global partnerships.â
The Organisation objectives
To promote human rights (as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and subsequent United Nations conventions and declarations) for seafarers, fishermen and others involved in working at sea throughout the world by all or any of the following means:
- Increasing global awareness of the explicit requirement for protection of, respect for and provision of effective remedies for human rights abuses at sea through international advocacy, the publishing of case studies and where applicable, the provision of teaching materials.
- Contributing to the international development of effective, enforceable and accountable remedies for human rights abuses at sea.
- Investigating and monitoring abuses of Human Rights at Sea.
- Developing the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights in the maritime environment.
- Commenting on and supporting proposed national and international human rights legislation, policies and best practice, where applicable.
Maritime Cyprus international news forum always strives to promote noble ideas and actions towards improvement of the Maritime domain, by helping disseminate important information like this report.
Click below to download full report:
Source: Human Rights at Sea